What Is SEL?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is a process for helping children and adults develop fundamental skills for life effectiveness. SEL teaches the skills we all need to handle ourselves, our relationships, and our work effectively and ethically. These skills include:
- recognizing and managing our emotions,
- developing caring and concern for others,
- establishing positive relationships,
- making responsible decisions, and
- handling challenging situations constructively and ethically.
Skills and concepts are integrated into academic lessons and practiced to enhance the climate of the school. Out-of-school time providers and parents reinforce SEL skills as well.
REACH Mentoring is school-based mentoring that connects caring, committed adults from
across the community with a student in one of our Beaumont ISD schools.
> Complete a Mentor application
> Complete the online volunteer background check for Beaumont ISD
> Register for and attend the initial training