The TSIA (Texas Success Initiative Assessment)
The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is the result of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) mandated by the Texas State Legislature. The assessment is designed to guide Texas public institutions of higher education in helping them determine whether students are ready for entry-level college coursework in the areas of English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) and mathematics. Students are exempt from this assessment if they meet college readiness benchmarks on the SAT, ACT, STAAR English III or Algebra II EOCs, or successfully complete the high school College Preparatory Course. Click here for a complete list of TSI exemptions. TSIA scores and exemptions are valid five years from the date an assessment was taken documenting benchmarks were met.
Students who do not meet a TSI exemption must take the TSI assessment before college enrollment. Students who do not meet one or more of the established TSI benchmarks are admitted, however, they are required to receive developmental education academic support as determined by the institution.
For additional information, read the TSI Statute (Sec. 51.333) and Texas Administrative Code Rules for TSI, RULE §4.54.
TSIA2 revised assessment benchmarks: tests taken on or after 01/11/21:
- Mathematics: a minimum score of 950 or less than 950 and a diagnostic level 6
- ELAR (English language arts, writing and reading): a minimum score of 945 on the multiple-choice section with an essay score of 5-8, or less than 945 on the multiple-choice section, a diagnostic level of 5 or 6, and an essay score of 5-8
A student shall be exempt from taking the TSIA if the student met the following benchmarks before 2/15/23:
- scored an ACT college prep assessment composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the English test. With these scores, the student shall exempt both Reading and Writing sections of the TSIA.
- scored an ACT college prep assessment composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the mathematics test. With these scores, the student shall exempt the Math section of the TSIA.
- taken the SAT administered March 2016 and later and earned a minimum score of 530 in Mathematics shall exempt the Math section of the TSIA.
- served for at least 3 years preceding enrollment, is a veteran, on active-duty, or a student who is or has served as a member of a reserve component of the U.S. armed services.
- transferred from another institution having satisfactorily completed college-level coursework; or
- enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (Level One certificates) at a public institution.