Return to Headlines

Information Regarding Marshall Middle School

Thursday, January 28, 2016, at approximately 10:16 a. m., first responders were called to Marshall Middle School for a carbon monoxide gas leak. Upon arrival, fire investigators identified elevated levels of carbon monoxide.  Emergency response procedures were enacted immediately.


Students and faculty were evacuated to safe areas for evaluation and treatment. Numerous students and faculty reported exposure symptoms such as nausea and headaches at which time surrounding hospitals were notified and activated their emergency protocols.  All students that were not exhibiting symptoms were transported by bus to West Brook High School Performing Arts Center. Parents were notified via the district’s phone messaging system of the situation.


At this time, there are no reports of any serious or fatal injuries.  Safety is the top priority for Beaumont ISD.  The district,  in coordination with state inspectors and the Beaumont fire marshall, are working together to evaluate and remedy the problem.  BISD will continue to work with all agencies and use all resources to ensure the safety of the students and staff.


Marshall Middle School will be closed on Friday, January 29, 2016.  Students and staff of Marshall Middle School should remain at home.  Beaumont ISD will take as much time as needed to ensure the building is safe for students and staff to return.  Parents will be notified through all forms of media and the district’s phone messaging system regarding Monday’s school schedule.  


Beaumont ISD would like to thank and recognize all the first local and regional responders, administration, staff, and students  for their efforts. Beaumont ISD will remain in contact with those being evaluated and treated.