Uniform Guidelines in Effect
At the June 29, 2017 school board meeting, the BISD Board of Managers adopted the following policy for elementary school dress. Uniform policies will go into effect on January 2, 2018 and parents have until January 16, 2018 to comply with the following dress code requirements for elementary students.
Elementary Dress Code
Goal: To implement a mandatory elementary dress code policy for the 2017-2018 school year.
FNCA Local states that the district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, instills discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. Standardizing the dress code at the elementary level will help to accomplish the desired goals of this policy. In addition, a standardized dress code will help to enhance the learning environment and bridge socioeconomic differences among students.
- Wearing uniforms enhances school pride, unity, and community spirit.
- School uniforms can positively impact school climate.
- School uniforms may improve attendance and discipline.
- School uniforms keep students focused on their education, not their clothes.
- School uniforms create a level playing field among students, reducing peer pressure and bullying.
- School uniforms make getting ready for school easier, which can improve punctuality.
2017-2018 Elementary Dress Code
Basic uniform will consist of:
-Khaki or navy slacks, shorts, skorts, skirts (no designer names visible and no cargo pants); uniform dresses are acceptable.
-Jeans without holes or designs (including rhinestones) may be worn on spirit days and for campus-based incentives.
-Polo style shirts in white, red, or navy blue
-School t-shirts may be worn on spirit days and for campus-based incentives.
- Hoodies: Must be white, red or navy blue
- Tennis shoes: No slip-on: all shoes must have backs